Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tucson Soaring Club at the El Tiro Gliderport






Our friend, Steve Dashew, invited us to go with him for the day yesterday as he performed his monthly volunteer work as a timekeeper for the day.

He made arrangements for us to each have a flight in a glider for the first time in our lives.

Michael went up first with Mark in a PW6 and came back with a big smile and very excited - also safe.

So now it was my turn to fly with Mark. We got a tow to about 3000 above ground level before I pulled the release from the tow plane. Then peace and quiet! It took a little while to get used to the idea of not having an engine and not worrying about it but it was so serene and graceful that feeling didn't last too long for me.

However, we couldn't find any thermals so we landed and then went back up again! This time we found some thermals and stayed up for quite a while. Mark let me fly for a while. One has to use a lot more rudder than I am used to to keep the glider balanced but I tried and part of the time I was successful.

The last two photos in this post are of the two plane flown by Joe that day.

We both had such a great day! We spent the rest of the day visiting with Steve and the other pilots and watching them launch and land over and over. FUN!

Steven also showed us his glider but he did not fly yesterday as he was working.

No comments: